- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 1:20 h
- Ready In : 1:50 h
I made ratatouille tonight. – Kalman
- 1 bulb fennel, stalks discarded
- 3 red bell peppers
- 3 yellow bell peppers
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered
- 1 medium eggplant, quartered
- 1 head garlic
- 2 cups tomato sauce (I used a can of crushed tomatoes for this, use whatever you want)
- some chopped fresh basil
- some crushed rosemary, I don't know how much I used
- chopped sweet marjoram
- possibly some other spices? I forget what I threw in there, possibly some coriander.
- salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In large saucepan over moderately high heat, bring 2 quarts salted water to boil. Add fennel and boil until tender. They claimed 10 minutes, it was more like 20 for me.
Meanwhile, rub zucchini and eggplant with olive oil and transfer to large baking sheet. Cut off top 1/2 inch from garlic head. Wrap in foil and transfer to baking sheet alongside vegetables.
When fennel is tender, use tongs to transfer to sheet and rub with oil. Roast vegetables, turning occasionally, until tender and slightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes.
While this is going on, dice peppers finely.
Let all vegetables stand until cooled slightly, about 10 minutes. Core fennel. Finely dice fennel, zuchini, and eggplant.
In large saucepan over moderately high heat, combine diced vegetables and tomato sauce. Squeeze garlic from skins into pan. Simmer mixture til it looks good (thickens, smells good, etc.).
Stir in all the other stuff. Serve with a nice crusty bread.