- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 40m
Here is a tuna salad recipe that’s really sashimi or tataki tuna salad. If you like any of those things you will like this. It’s from Barefoot Contessa and is a summer standby for us, easy to make and easy to adjust portions. Of course, since the tuna’s basically raw, make sure it’s decent quality. I’m half posting this to remind myself to make it in the next few days… – eva_prawn
- 2 pounds very fresh tuna steak, cut 1-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 limes, zest grated
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 10 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1 to 2 ripe Hass avocados, medium diced
- 1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)
- 1/4 cup red onion, small diced
Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the tuna steaks in a very hot saute pan and cook for only 1 minute on each side. Set aside on a platter.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, lime zest, wasabi, lime juice, soy sauce and hot sauce. Add the avocados to the vinaigrette.
Cut the tuna in chunks and place it in a large bowl. Add the scallions and red onion and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette mixture over the tuna and carefully mix.