Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheese2014-10-10
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 35m
Had this gouda and spinach macaroni the other day. Turned out really well, some of the best baked macaroni I’ve had. – Smithist
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 5 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook until thick (about 2 minutes). Add cheeses; stir until melted.
Add spinach and macaroni to cheese sauce, stirring until well blended. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until bubbly.