Vegetarian Crockpot Chili2014-09-27
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 10:000 h
- Ready In : 10:20 h
So here’s my first success story of cooking with tofu. I pulled this off some random site on the web and was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out. It’s not a substitute for actual chili, but more of a hybrid chili/stew. It’s hearty enough that it’s satisfying to eat it as a meal, which I’ve found a failing of of a lot of vegetarian recipes I’ve had. Plus, it has tofu and is edible!
Here’s the recipe as best I can describe what I actually did. I measured all of the spices by eye and may have added more than the recipe called for, so buyer beware on that part. Next time when I make it I might use some more rustic/gamier mushrooms, but this version was still pretty awesome – Cormack
- 2 1/2 C Butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 pkg Mushrooms - fresh white 10 oz, sliced
- 2 Onions - medium, chopped
- 1 C Pepper - red bell, seeded and diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 1 Can Tomatoes - 14.5 oz diced with Italian herbs
- 1 C Garbonzo beans- 15 oz, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tb Srirachi hot sauce
- 3 Tb Tomato paste
- 3 Tb Chili powder
- 2 Tb Honey
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 1 pkg 14 oz package extra firm tofu, pressed and sliced into the smallest cubes you can make
- 2 Tb Cornmeal
- 3 Tb Cheddar cheese - shredded reduced fat, for garnish (optional for garnish)
In a 4 quart crock pot, add squash, mushrooms, onion ,bell pepper, celery, tomatoes, chickpeas, pepper sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, honey, and cumin; mix well. The vegetables will just barely fit inside a 4 quart crock pot, but will cook down a ton, so don't worry about how full things look.
Press the vegetables down into an even layer. Spread the tofu around the top of the vegetables, making sure that no pieces touch the side of the crock pot. Cover, cooking until the vegetables are tender 8 to 10 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
About 20 minutes before the cooking time is up, slowly stir the cornmeal into the crock pot until blended. Cover, cooking until it thickens, on high about 15 minutes. Garnish with cheese and serve.